When Disney bought out the Star Wars film franchise from Lucasfilm LTD last year, many Star Wars fans were in an uproar. All over Minnehaha Academy, and everywhere else, the “true” fans of Star Wars were muttering under their breath about “selling out”.
But new news from Disney headquarters might make these fans finally feel some joy again. Walt Disney Co. chairman Alan Horn announced Wed., April 17, during a presentation at the movie theater convention CinemaCon, in Las Vegas, that starting in 2015 the studio will release a new film set in the galaxy far, far, away, every summer. This fan’s dream will begin with “Star Wars: Episode VII,” directed by J.J. Abrams. And Horn says the dream will continue when the studio will then alternate films in the new “Star Wars” trilogies with spin-off films drawn from the same universe. Maybe Lucasfilms LTD did “sell out”, but this new news about the continuation of such a beloved series “makes it all worth it,” said MA sophomore Daniel Lim.